Tartu is a university town and a city of youth!
The time-honoured university, museum-rich and Hanseatic city of Tartu lies on the banks of the River Emajõgi. The capital of sothern Estonia is the second largest city in the country (but the largest in terms of student population!) and the oldest in the Baltic States. Tartu is a modern city with a rich historical heritage and culture.
It is the cradle of the Estonian Song Festival, Estonian theatre and the Estonian state; Tartu is the intellectual capital of Estonia where national awareness and the culture of Estonia was born.
10 reasons for coming to Tartu:
- Ahhaa Science Centre (New!) and Aura water park
- Diverse art galleries
- Tallinn Black Nights Film Festival
- Idyllic Town Hall Square with its outdoor cafes and street musicians
- Sightseeing tours on Emajõgi River on board the barge Jõmmu (unfortunately www only in Estonian language atm) or M/S Pegasus
- Romantic Toomemägi (Dome Hill) with its recently renovated Tartu old observatory, old dissection hall and the lookouts of the University of Tartu History Museum
- Historic Jaani cultural city block with Tartu Jaani (St John’s) Church, St. Anthony’s Guild and Courtyard, Theatre House and Toy Museum
- Scenic Botanical Garden of the University of Tartu and all the museums and galleries of Tartu that deserve to be discovered
- Fascinating theatrical productions and concerts
- Shopping centres offering good prices and versatile product ranges
If you are wondering what to do in Tartu, Elite Clinic suggests:
- For shopping, lunch and beauty treatments visit *Lõunakeskus – the biggest shopping centre in South Estonia (more than 160 shops). It is only 5 minutes by taxi from Elite Clinic – www.lounakeskus.com. Please let us know if you need our help for booking a massage, cosmetic`s or hairdresser`s services.
In city centre are for shopping:
* Tartu Kaubamaja – www.kaubamaja.ee
* Shopping Centre Tasku – www.tasku.ee (In Tasku Centre there is also a cinema www.cinamon.ee.)
- Visit oldest theatre in Estonia – the Vanemuine. The repertoire includes ballet, drama, comedy, concert, children`s play, musical, opera and musical comedy – www.vanemuine.ee
- Visit museums and art galleries – www.visittartu.com